Home /  News /  New Zealand Popular

Police Make Arrests In Papatoetoe Jewellery Store Robbery

A group of masked teenagers violently raided a local jewellery store in Papatoetoe this weekend. The brazen attack, caught on camera, shows the store owner, 50-year-old Gurdeep Singh, being struck over the head with a hammer before collapsing.


New call-to-action

In a dramatic turn, Singh's son emerged wielding a large ceremonial sword, driving the assailants out of the store.

Police have made several arrests in connection with the robbery. In a statement today, law enforcement revealed that multiple search warrants were executed across Tāmaki Makaurau, leading to the capture of four suspects linked to a string of aggravated robberies this month.

"Four arrests have been made over five aggravated robberies at various businesses this month," police said, highlighting the intensity of their crackdown, The New Zealand Herald reported.

Three of these young offenders, aged 15, 16, and 17, now face charges for Sunday night's brutal assault on Singh's store. Detective Inspector Karen Bright from Counties Manukau CIB noted that five search warrants were carried out in central, south, and west Auckland today.

"Today’s action is a result of astute detective work over recent days and weeks," she said. "We have laid charges against three males for the aggravated robbery on Sunday evening, and inquiries are continuing into outstanding offenders."

The teenagers face severe charges, including aggravated robbery with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. The 16-year-old faces an additional charge of aggravated assault, while the 15-year-old is also charged with assault.

The 15-year-old suspect, implicated in the Papatoetoe heist, is further charged with two aggravated robberies and an aggravated burglary earlier in June, targeting stores in Mt Roskill and Sandringham. Another 15-year-old male has been charged with the aggravated robbery of a New Windsor superette on June 8.

Detective Inspector Bright emphasized that the investigation is ongoing and more arrests are expected.

"Let’s be clear, the violent behaviour we have seen play out is totally unacceptable," she declared. "Investigators have worked diligently in recent days and weeks to identify those allegedly responsible and we are continuing to hold them to account. We understand how distressing incidents like these are for victims and we hope these arrests will help provide reassurance to both the victims in this case and to the community."

Singh remains in hospital after undergoing surgery for his injuries. His family is still reeling from the attack, which was witnessed by children in the store.

Police Minister Mark Mitchell visited Singh in the hospital on Monday, and Prime Minister Christopher Luxon is also planning to reach out to the injured man.

Related Posts