Home /  News /  New Zealand

‘Fractured Skull’: Kiwi-Indian Attacked Shifted to Auckland City Hospital

New Zealand Minister of Police Mark Mitchell visited Luther and his family in the hospital. Photo: Supplied

Gurdeep Singh, a 50-year-old jeweller and owner of Pooja Jewellers on Kolmar Road, was brutally attacked with a hammer and knife on 23 June at 5:45 PM. Gurdeep, who initially received treatment at Middlemore Hospital, has now been transferred to Auckland City Hospital for further medical care.

Daljit Singh, spokesperson for the Supreme Sikh Society of New Zealand, reported that Gurdeep suffered a fractured skull in the attack and will undergo surgery to repair the damage. The surgery, expected to last approximately 90 minutes, is scheduled for this afternoon.


Also read: https://www.indianweekender.co.nz/news/kiwi-indian-jewellery-store-owner-seriously-injured-in-armed-robbery


New Zealand Minister of Police Mark Mitchell visited Gurdeep and his family in the hospital. Daljit Singh mentioned that Mitchell skipped a cabinet meeting to offer his support.

New call-to-action

"Mark Mitchell asked Gurdeep about his health and assured the family that the enquiry to find the offenders was underway," Daljit said.

In a press release, New Zealand police addressed the incident: "Police are making enquiries following a robbery at a Kolmar Road store in Papatoetoe. The Eagle helicopter responded to the area; however, the offenders left in a vehicle prior to arrival and were not located."

Daljit Singh provided details of the robbery, stating that three to four robbers armed with hammers and sharp tools stormed the jewellery shop, attempting to steal jewellery boxes. 


Gurdeep tried to prevent the robbers from entering the shop but was struck twice on the head with a hammer before being attacked with a knife. In an attempt to defend his father, Gurdeep's son armed himself with a sword-like weapon from the back of the store, but his mother restrained him from attacking the robbers.

Initial CCTV footage suggests the robbers did not gain access to the entire store. They managed to grab three jewellery boxes from the front and fled, leaving shattered doors and windows in their wake. 

Gurdeep was taken to Middlemore Hospital, where doctors treated him for his knife wound. 

"The doctors have sewn up the knife wound," Daljit added.

Gurdeep remains conscious and is able to communicate, though minimally. Notably, he also serves as the chairperson of the Papatoetoe Local Business Association.

Related Posts