Police have charged a 38-year-old man for the death of a 33-year-old man in Christchurch whose body was found at a property in Armagh Street on Sunday, February 21.

On Sunday evening, police were called by onlookers when a man was spotted walking with a hammer on Christchurch streets, with bloodstains on his cloth and neck.

Emergency services earlier that evening were called after a report of a serious assault on a property on Armagh Street.

Police apprehended the man with a hammer outside McDonald's and appeared at the Christchurch District Court on Tuesday, February 23.

Police have launched a homicide inquiry, and the accused will appear at the High Court in Christchurch on March 14. The accused has been granted interim name suppression.

Soon after the reports of the incident on Sunday, community members started posting condolence messages on social media revealing the deceased's name.

The deceased was identified as Faiz Ali, a 33-year-old man who worked as a manager at an Indian grocery store, Krazy Price Mart.

Faiz hailed from Sabeto in the Nadi region, Fiji and is also said to have moved to New Zealand in 2014.

The family, shocked with the news, was mourning the death of their loved one and were already living in trauma after their father's death exactly a month ago.

"The family was left speechless with this tragic news," FBC News in Fiji reported.

Community via social media posts praised Faiz for his humility and cheerful nature and were shocked hearing about his murder.

"He was a kind-hearted person and very helpful, and did not have any grudges or fights with anyone, as far as I know," his colleague Nishaal Nikesh told NZ Herald.

Faiz was divorced, is survived by his mother, brothers and sisters, five-year-old son and nine-year-old daughter living in Fiji.

Detective Inspector Kylie Schaare said police cordons remained at the Armagh Street property as they carry the scene examination.

The police have also asked the public to contact them if they might have any relevant information pertaining to the case.

The post-mortem was carried out on Monday, and his funeral was conducted on Tuesday evening ay Ruru Cemetery in Christchurch in the presence of community members.