'Stay inside': Fire in Auckland's Flat Bush affected air quality
A large blaze in Auckland's Flat Bush has been put out, but a damaged transformer that was on fire could take weeks to fix, Fire and Emergency says.
The power will be out in the area until later this afternoon when a generator is running..
Emergency services were called to the fire at a group of shops at the intersection of Chapel and Ormiston roads at 12.50pm on Tuesday, and residents were urged to stay indoors.
"Motorists are advised to avoid the area as roadblocks are in place at the intersection of Chapel and Ormiston roads," police said in a statement.
"Due to the air quality, residents are advised to close their windows and doors and stay inside."
Police also urged pedestrians to stay away from the area, and all members of the public are asked to follow instructions of emergency services.
CHAPEL RD, FLAT BUSH - ROAD CLOSURE - 1:00PM— Auckland Transport Travel Alerts (@AT_TravelAlerts) February 13, 2024
Due to a fire a section of Chapel Rd is now CLOSED between Ormiston Rd and the southern end of Michael Jones Dr. Avoid this area or expect delays with diversions in place affecting all traffic, including bus services. pic.twitter.com/GDJIuVMqbb
Auckland Transport said a section of Chapel Road between Ormiston Road and the southern end of Michael Jones Drive was closed because of the fire.
"Avoid this area or expect delays with diversions in place affecting all traffic, including bus services."