Home /  News /  New Zealand

Should This Would-Be-Mother Claim Job Seeker Benefit?

Representational Image

A pregnant woman advised to stay in bed for four months for medical reasons has taken to social media with a moral dilemma – should she take a job seeker benefit?

The Kiwi who goes by the account ‘Misszoolander’ posted on Reddit on April 9, 2024, seeking advice. At 17 weeks pregnant, she revealed her obstetrician has advised her to go on bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy due to structural issues involving her body, though fortunately, the baby is in good health.

The woman, who remains unnamed, expressed concerns about the potential loss of income during her bed rest period, which could span close to four months. 



Despite having stable jobs and financial stability with her fiancée, owning a freehold home and having savings in emergency funds, she admitted feeling conflicted about seeking assistance.

"I understand that I may be applicable for the job seekers benefit, but I feel a bit weird about it," she wrote.

The woman shared that while her family and friends are urging her to apply for financial aid, citing that she pays taxes and is thus eligible for assistance if unable to work, she grapples with moral discomfort. She acknowledged that her situation, while challenging, is not as dire as many other families facing financial struggles.

"I feel morally just a bit weird about it, like there’s so many families that are struggling much more than me right now. But at the same time, a selfish part of me is tempted to not turn down free money," she wrote, seeking opinions from her online community.

Her post sparked a flurry of responses, with many offering words of support and encouragement. Some advised her to prioritise her health and the well-being of her baby, emphasising that seeking assistance in times of need is not something to be ashamed of.

"You should claim anything you are eligible for, but it will probably be minor if anything," one commenter wrote. Another said, “You probably won’t qualify for anything because you’ve got a partner who has a job. At most, you’ll have to go on paid parental leave early, and when that ends and your baby is here you’ll get working for families and maybe accommodation supplement. 

“Go see WINZ and talk to them but don’t feel guilty about seeking assistance if you really need it.”

Related Posts