Police have sought to dispel the suggestions going on in several social media posts that alleged a high-handed response leading to the shooting of a machete-wielding man in South Auckland. 

Counties Manukau District Commander Jill Rogers said that Police continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting incident in Papatoetoe this morning.

“A Post-Mortem examination will be held tomorrow and Police are not in a position to release the deceased’s name until formal identification procedures have been completed.

The investigation is still in its very early stages but Police have established that the deceased rang 111 himself prior to the incident. The deceased told the 111 call taker that he had a knife and would kill anyone he came across.

As Police has previously said, we received multiple calls in relation to the man’s behaviour which included using a machete to damage cars and powerlines. He also used the machete to attack a number of houses by smashing in windows. Immediately prior to Police arrival, the man was at one address where he had smashed two large windows and was in the process of smashing the Venetian Blinds. The occupants were home at the time and were terrified thinking that the man was going to gain access to the house and attack them. The man was unknown to any of the occupants at the address. The first Police Officer arrived at this time and was able to prevent the man from gaining entry to this address.

The man turned his attention on the Police Officer and despite repeated requests from our officer to put down his weapon, he has continued to advance on the officer and has been shot.

Our investigation continues and we want to reiterate that this is a tragic outcome and we are supporting all of those involved.,” the press release attributed to Commander Jill Rogers said. 

Earlier the Indian Weekender has reported on how some members of the public have alleged on police high handedness in their response to dealing with the machete wielding man.