Warning: Graphic content, some readers may find distressing

A 27-year-old man living in New Zealand passed away due to a medical incident earlier this week.

Chamkaur Singh Bath, a healthy young migrant with no medical history, suffered breathlessness on Tuesday night, December 1 at his residence in Manurewa, South Auckland and died despite multiple attempts by emergency services to revive him.

The body of the deceased has been sent for post-mortem and cause of death will be released by the coroner soon.

Chamkaur belonged from the state of Punjab in India and came to New Zealand in 2015 as an international student.

He studied IT and Business from an institution in Auckland and worked in a dairy farm in Christchurch before moving to Auckland earlier this year.

Chamkaur was living with two of his friends in Auckland and was due to start his new job this week. Chamkaur was on open job search visa in New Zealand.

Speaking to The Indian Weekender, Chamkaur’s flatmate Amrit Pal Singh said he was a decent, hardworking and humorous person and his passing away came as a big shock to everyone in the close friend-circle. 

Amrit Pal was the last person Chamkaur spoke to before suffering the medical incident on Tuesday night.

Chamkaur Singh Bath (Photo: Facebook)

As per Amrit Pal, Chamkaur had just cleared is Class 2 Driver’s Licence test and also passed his job interview for a truck driver earlier in November.

“He was excited to start his new job sometime this week,” Amrit Pal said.

He added that Chamkaur had a normal week, going to the gym, doing his normal house chores and meeting his friends. Chamkaur earlier in the week had pain in the leg, had seen his GP and was taking prescribed medicines.

On Tuesday night, around 11 p.m. the duo were in their respective rooms when he heard Chamkaur’s voice in distress.

Amrit Pal readily went to his room seeing Chamkaur panting and having trouble breathing. He rubbed his chest and raised the alarm with his neighbour family to assist him.

Amrit Pal called emergency services who while on their way, gave instructions to him on call to conduct CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation) on Chamkaur.

Amrit Pal and the neighbour tried to help Chamkaur’s troubled breathing before St John’s personnel joined and tried to revive his breathing using medical equipment.

Chamkaur’s started breathing with less trouble before collapsing again. The emergency services personnel failed to resuscitate him the second time, and he passed away at his home.

Amrit Pal contacted Supreme Sikh Society of New Zealand who informed the High Commission of India in Wellington.

“The High Commission officials are in direct touch with the friends and family of the deceased man and offering all help and support in this hour of grief,” Hon Consul Bhav Dhillon told The Indian Weekender.

Chamkaur was the only child of their family, and his sudden death has come as a big blow to his family and friends back in India.

To Donate: 
https://www.facebook.com/donate/713548206251083/715247006081203/