News

Intense fire hits Northcote College during strike

Written by IWK Bureau | Feb 20, 2026 4:13:47 AM

Fire at Northcote College Heritage Building Contained During Firefighters’ Strike

A fire that broke out at a heritage building at Northcote College in Auckland has been brought under control after igniting during a one-hour strike by career firefighters on Friday afternoon.

According to a report by 1news, fire and Emergency NZ assistant national commander Ron Devlin said crews were first alerted to the blaze through a fire alarm activation at 12.17 pm.

"As part of our contingency planning to manage reduced capability during strike action, we do not dispatch crews to automatic fire alarm activations unless there are multiple activations or confirming 111 calls, 1News has quoted.

"Following a second fire alarm notification, crews were dispatched at 12.19 pm. While heading to the scene, we also received a 111 call from a member of the public. A commander was first to arrive at the scene at 12.29 pm, followed by a volunteer brigade from Silverdale at 12.34 pm," as quoted by 1News.

More volunteer brigades responded shortly after, with career crews joining once the strike action concluded. Devlin said Fire and Emergency NZ continued to urge the New Zealand Professional Firefighters Union (NZPFU) to call off further planned strikes while facilitation talks were ongoing.

Police confirmed they were assisting at the scene and said no one was unaccounted for. Hato Hone St John Ambulance reported it had dispatched an ambulance, two managers, a command unit and a major incident support unit to the site.

In a statement, Northcote College said all students had been safely evacuated and that the school would close at 2 pm.

"Some students may not have their bags because of the evacuation. We are asking students to go home, if they can, without their bags. Students who are unable to get home or need to call home are meeting in the hall and will be supported by staff," as quoted by 1News.

The fire damaged the school’s sports pavilion, a heritage structure that once served as the original teaching space. The building forms part of a $48.5 million redevelopment announced in 2020 by the then Labour-led government and sits beside a new classroom block that opened earlier this month.

According to 1News, the incident comes nearly 12 years after a major blaze destroyed the college’s technology block in September 2014. Auckland Transport advised that an "emergency services incident" on Onewa Rd between Lake Rd and Birkenhead Ave was causing traffic delays in the area.

A parent of a student told 1News her son was "shocked" by how "large and aggressive" the fire was.

"He told me there was lots of black smoke and flames."

Smoke from the blaze was reportedly visible from the Auckland Harbour Bridge.

Northcote MP Dan Bidois expressed gratitude to emergency responders and staff.

"Thanks to all our local police and firefighters for their quick response and to the school staff for an orderly fire drill! Glad everyone is safe," 1News has quoted.

Auckland Council North Shore ward councillor Richard Hills described the incident as "so sad".

"It will be hugely upsetting to students, staff and school whānau," he said.

Hills noted that the school had worked hard to rebuild after the 2014 fire and had recently celebrated new and upgraded facilities.

The NZPFU confirmed via social media that it would be striking from 12pm to 1pm on Friday.

"FENZ management is quick to say that firefighters are ‘gambling with public safety’ by striking. The truth is, FENZ is gambling with your safety every single day,” the post read.

The union added that another one-hour strike is scheduled for next Monday.

According to the Ministry of Education, Northcote College has a roll of nearly 1,500 students.