Two Indian students were killed and one critically injured when the car in which they were travelling met with an accident on Monday, October 29 in the south of Tokoroa in Waikato.

Earlier police had reported about the incident by a media release in a press release on Monday, October 29.

“Police can confirm that two people have died following a serious crash on State Highway 1 near Ohakuri, south of Tokoroa.

“One further person has critical injuries and another is seriously injured.

“The two-vehicle crash was reported shortly after 5 p.m.," the police media release said.

While police is continuing investigation about the cause of the accident and have still to release names of deceased persons after formal identification process, The Indian Weekender has been able to speak to some of the shocked members of the community in the knowledge of the tragic incident.

“This is devastating news for the Indian community.

“Too many fatal deaths within our community on the roads, especially of young people,” said one exasperated community leader closely liaising with police and friends and family members of deceased.

It is important to note that this fatal crash has added to a total of four Indian nationals and one Nepali student dead in October.

On Sunday, October 14, 25-year-old Harpreet Singh died in a crash with tourist bus in Queenstown, and in a separate incident 23-year-old Indian student Yatharth Vats and Nepali student Shamuel BK killed in a head-on car crash on the same night in New Plymouth.

Meanwhile, The Indian Weekender also spoke to a friend of one of the deceased, who said his friend was from New Delhi, while another student involved in the tragic accident was from the Indian state of Punjab.

“This is really shocking.

“We are struggling to come to terms of this tragic news,” said the friend, whose name The Indian Weekender is choosing not to reveal till the police complete formal identification process.

The three friends were reported to be travelling from Taupo to Auckland when the unfortunate incident happened.

A St John’s spokesperson confirmed media that Waikato Westpac Rescue and Taupo Greenlea Rescue helicopters took two injured separately to Waikato Hospital. The third person in critical condition has been transferred to Auckland Hospital from Waikato Hospital as per the latest updates.

An aerial view of the SH1 south of Tokoroa near Thorpe Road Intersection (Google Maps)

Another person who suffered moderate injuries was taken to Rotorua Hospital by road.

Meanwhile, Police has thanked members of the public driving in the region who stopped by to assist the injured at the crash scene.

“Some people provided blankets and clothing to assist victims at the scene, if this was you and you would like the items back please contact Taupo Police,” Police appealed.

The Serious Crash Unit is continuing to investigate the circumstances of the crash.

More on Waikato fatal crash to come.