The body of the Indian student killed in North Shore earlier this month has been repatriated via Air India flight from Auckland last night to New Delhi.

The Indian student was murdered by a 37-year-old man who also injured another person in the attack on Thursday, June 4, at a property on Akoranga Drive in North Shore.

Police and emergency services attended the incident, but the Indian student succumbed to his injuries. The second person received minor injuries and was treated by emergency services.

A homicide investigation was launched after the incident and murder charges laid the next day on the 37-year-old man.

The Consulate of India office in Auckland on Wednesday, June 17, confirmed to the Indian Weekender that the mortal remains of the Indian student had been repatriated via Indian government led Vande Bharat Mission's second Air India flight to take back stranded Indian nationals to India.

The deceased came to New Zealand two years ago to pursue a masters degree in Physiotherapy from AUT. Before coming to New Zealand, he had completed his Bachelor's degree from Roorkee, Uttarakhand where he had received a gold medal from the then President of India, Pranab Mukherjee.

The victim last visited India in January this year to collect his degree and driver's license.

The family of the deceased were shocked with the news of his untimely demise and that he was murdered.

The deceased's father is a senior officer in a bank, grandfather a retired philosophy doctorate and writer in Roorkee, India.

A close associate of the deceased told The Indian Weekender last week that he was a very calm and loving person.

"He was a genuine person, very friendly, helpful, smart and intelligent and it's tragic that he went too soon," the friend said.

The name of the deceased is under suppression by the court, and that of the other victim who suffered minor injuries cannot be revealed due to privacy concerns. 

Accused remanded in custody by Auckland High Court

The accused appeared at the Auckland High Court today for the second hearing in front of Justice Fitzgerald. He was remanded in custody and given continued name suppression.

The accused did not enter a plea for the murder or the assault charge for injuring the second person and will appear in the court again in August.