A 30-year-old man has been fined and disqualified from driving for six months after he bragged of his car’s power and driving at an excessive speed between Wellington and Auckland in 2017.
In late 2017, the man posted a series of photos of the speedometer of his new vehicle on a trip between Wellington and Auckland.
Photos showed him bragging about his car’s power and showed he was driving at excessive speed.
The investigation was brought about after the social media posts were reported to Counties Manukau Police.
“As a result of the investigation Police determined the man had driven at excessive speeds on multiple occasions between Wellington and Auckland,” Senior Sergeant Jono Chappell said.
“This high-risk driving behaviour unnecessarily put members of the public at risk.
“It’s incredibly lucky that the driver’s irresponsible behaviour didn’t cause any harm to other motorists,” Sargeant Chappell added.
Last week, the man was fined and disqualified from driving for six months in the Waitakere District Court.
"The sentencing highlights importance of reporting high risk driving behaviour," Police media release said.
Counties Manukau reminded the public of the importance of reporting high risk driving behaviours as a part of the Road Safety Week that starts Monday, May 6 to Sunday, May 12.
Senior Sergeant Chappell says this case reinforces the importance of reporting high-risk driving behaviour to Police.
“We ask motorists who witness anyone driving dangerously to report it to Police by phoning 111 at the earliest and safest opportunity.”
This year 143 people have already lost their lives on our roads – eight more than this time last year and the highest year-to-date figure since 2009.
“Any death on our roads is too many, so we’re using Road Safety Week to remind drivers about the four simple and proven actions they can take to help keep themselves, and everyone else on the road, safe and alive,” Police National Manager of Road Policing, Superintendent Steve Greally said.